Flint MI Change of Domicile Lawyer

Flint, Michigan, Attorney Handling Move-Away, Change of Domicile

Most divorced and separated parents in Michigan are well-aware of what the law says about changing the domicile of a child who is the subject of a child custody order:

The custodial parent may not move the child more than 100 miles away without a court order approving the parental relocation.

Many factors motivate custodial parents to believe they and their minor children need to move out of state:

  • In today's volatile economy, some parents are forced to move in order to find or keep a job.
  • Some parents feel the need to move closer to their own elderly parents to care for them in their declining years.
  • It is not uncommon for a single parent to find someone that she or he wants to move close to through Internet dating sites and other online social forums.

If you are a custodial parent wishing to move more than 100 miles away with your child, or if you are a non-custodial parent concerned about your ex-wife's or ex-husband's plans to move, contact the law offices of Charles D. Riley, Attorney at Law, as soon as possible. It is not uncommon for clients of the law firm to report that an ex-spouse has already moved and taken a child out of state. If this is happening in your family, you are encouraged to seek legal counsel promptly.

To prove to the family law court that you should be allowed to move away with your child, you will be expected to demonstrate the following conditions:

  • A new, adequate parenting time schedule for the non-custodial parent (that will preserve the parent-child relationship) is still achievable despite the distance.
  • The lives of the custodial parent and the child will be improved as a result of the move.
  • The move is not being undertaken in an attempt to force the other parent to pay more child support.

The law office of Charles D. Riley, Attorney at Law, in Flint, Michigan, is one of the few law firms in the area that offers initial consultations in all practice areas. Call or e-mail a lawyer to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation meeting with Mr. Riley to discuss change of domicile and child custody court order modifications.